1) You’re Scared – You’re afraid of what others might think. You’re nervous that you might fail. You may even be worried you might succeed! So you do nothing, or you do just a little bit and then you stop. You avoid taking it past the comfort zone, never actually giving it a real chance. You choose safety over soaring. Except, beyond the comfort zone, exciting things happen. You see meaningful and sustainable change. It’s where you move from good to great. And it takes bravery. So do it scared.
2) You Don’t Know How – You’re asking yourself “How do I do this?”. “How” questions will lead you straight to STUCK. Instead, ask yourself “Who” and “What”. “Who is already doing what I want to do and can teach me?” “Who will I be when I figure this out?” “What do I need to start?” “What resources do I have available to me?”
3) You Don’t Want It Badly…Enough – You won’t get where you want to go if you don’t want it badly enough. It might be time to take a hard look at all those “reasons” holding you back. Are they actual reasons, or just bullshit excuses?
4) You’re a Perfectionist – You’re obsessed with the result. You set unattainable goals. You never truly go for what you want because you don’t want to deal with the inevitable disappointment. You fear “mistakes” big and small. But what if there was no such thing as a mistake?
5) You’re Doing it Alone – Anyone you admire did it with help. They had support. They had a community. It might look different from person to person, but they didn’t do it alone. You don’t have to either.
So how do you follow through?
You’re never ready for what you want to do. You’re ready as soon as you do it. So just do it. Start with something small and make a change. Give it a try. What’s the worst thing that could happen?
What you want isn’t on the other side of hope. It’s on the other side of action. And it WILL feel uncomfortable. It WILL feel hard. It WILL be scary. And also? It WILL be totally worth it.